IME Level 3 app equivalent with Text services
Martin Bohring
2005-08-15 07:36:16 UTC
Hello to all,
I am working on a touch screen application used in an OR setting
by surgeons and assistants during operations.

A touch screen enviroment imposes some restrictions on the minimal size
of UI elements. Therefore I can't use the standard IME user interfaces.
Especially the candiate list is to small to be workable by a touch
screen user.

Therefore the proposed solution seems to be to implement an IME level 3
app, that handles drawing the UI itself.

But much to may dismay I had to realize, that the new TSF based IME's
on XP, seem to ignore my requests. (The Japanese Input System
MS-IME2002 does ignore setting lParam = lParam &
~ISC_SHOWUIALLCANDIDATEWINDOW in the WM_IME_SETCONTEXT handler)

Earlier postings here state, that the new TSF based IME's emulate the
old IMM interface. Maybe not completelyso, as I have found out the hard
way.

Therefore I resorted to using the TSF interface. Besides being COM
based and therefore complicating the problem even more, there are no
samples based on an application point of view. The only sample I could
find is ReadComp.exe sample on MSDN.

This is one of the very rare examples on how to work with TSF from an
application point of view. The IME examples are outdated and old. Some
of the new TSF IME's even don't fully support the IMM interface.
Therefore more examples of how the TSF equivalent of an IME half or
full aware app would look like using the TSF are needed.

IME's where also badly documented, but it's more worse with TSF. If TSF
is the interface poeple should use, then more examples are needed.

Does anybody know of further examples on using the TSF interface for
IME's ?

Has anybody tried to use their own UI for TSF based IME's ?

I have spent to much time on this issue already and I am now in
desperate mode.

Sorry fpr the long post, bd any help or ideas on this issue would be
very much appreciated
Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]
2005-08-15 11:57:50 UTC
Did you look at the nine available TSF samples at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/tsf/tsf/text_services_framework.asp

yet?
--
MichKa [Microsoft]
NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Technical Lead

This posting is provided "AS IS" with
no warranties, and confers no rights.
very much appreciated
Martin Bohring
2005-08-16 14:30:29 UTC
Hello Michal,
thanks for the answer.

Yes I have seen those samples. But they are all on how to implement a
text service. None of them is about an application using text services.

Especially I want to know how to supress the standard UI of an already
existing text service, so I can display my own one. The
ITfContextOwnerCompositionSink interface has methods like
OnStartComposition etc. So I now I can use that as an replacement for
the WM_IME_STARTCOMPOSITION, WM_IME_COMPOSITION and
WM_IME_ENDCOMPOSITION messages, if my app implements the interface.

But I have been unable to find out how to supress the display of the
candidate list by the TS.

Any ideas would be very welcome.
very much appreciated
Michael (michka) Kaplan [MS]